Virtue Experiment

I did not pay much mind to the virtues as I went through my week. I chose to just go through my days as I normally would because I think that trying to follow all of these virtues would take away from life. The results of which virtues I did and did not follow throughout the week were not surprising to me. There are a few virtues that I broke every day. These were tranquility, diligence, guidance, industry, silence, sincerity, resolution, and justice. I violated eight out of the fifteen virtues every day. That is over half of the virtues, not counting the ones I did not violate daily. Some would argue that this would make me a bad person, but I believe that it says more about the experiment than it does myself. These virtues were drawn up by someone trying to reach moral perfection, excluding the three my group came up with. Keeping this in mind, there was no room for error, and I believe that a large part of being human is not being perfect. We are meant to make mistakes and live life with a bit of selfishness. No human has ever been morally perfect, and I believe that trying to achieve this level of perfection is not only impossible but also damaging to this person’s mental and emotional state. It is well known that people who are pressured into perfection often wind up mentally damaged as a result of trying to pursue the impossible, which is why this should not be done. Pressuring people into perfection will cause them to never feel satisfied with themselves. I believe that instead of trying to achieve moral perfection, we should aim to better ourselves a little bit each day. We also should not have a set list of virtues to follow, we should so what we believe is best for ourselves and others. Different people have different views of what is and is not ethically acceptable, which causes us to believe that different things are ethically required to live a morally good life. An example of this is when we did our presentations on the virtue we eliminated and the virtues we added. No group added the same three exact values, and different groups eliminated different values. We should not heed the word of some dead white guy from the late 1700s for what we should do in the twenty-first century. 

I think that this study was not an appropriate study to do in a high school setting. I believe that doing such a study could, under different circumstances, prove to be a good way of seeing what things people find ethically important and valuable. Doing this in a high school setting, however, almost guarantees that the results will be inaccurate. My group chose to remove chastity, but I am assuming that the groups who chose to keep it were not honest if they violated this virtue. It is an uncomfortable question not only for it to be asked, but to be expected to answer it and provide a date as a high school student. I think that this study would have been better done if it were in a college setting as compared to a high school setting. I also believe that expecting those who were truthful about violating this virtue to write about it in a blog that can be accessed by the public is unfair. If this study were to be done in a more professional setting, it would most likely be anonymous, which I think would be more appropriate.