First thoughts on The Novice

From the very start, the book gives off a very dull kind of tone. The first sentence is, ‘It was now or never. If Fletcher didn’t make this kill, he would go hungry tonight. Dusk was already fast approaching and he was already running late. He needed to make his way back to the village soon, or the gates would close. If that happened, he would either have to bribe the guards with money he didn’t have or take his chances in the woods overnight.’ So what I gathered from the first paragraph, is that the present characters name is Fletcher, sounds like a hunter, is dealing with physical struggles along with mental stressing on how important this kill was. But Fletcher seems like a very experienced hunter, he pays attention to every little detail. For example, ‘From its small size and stature, Fletcher could tell it was a juvenile, sporting its first set of antlers. It was a fine specimen, with glossy fur and bright, intelligent eyes.’ Now I’m no hunter but the few hunters I do know don’t pay attention to the mystical looking eyes, they look for how much meat and fur, and how big the rack is if any at all. But so far not so bad, the character seems like a more bone-chilling kind which is cool, and they seem to be set back in a later time period seeing on how if he missed his shot he was going hungry, couldn’t just go to Wendy’s and grab a burger, but so far so good, the only thing is I can already see that this character is gonna be abused in so many ways, so far mental and physical conflicts but there is always a possibility for more conflicts to the story. I don’t really think there will be any religious conflict in this story but definitely physical and mental conflict towards Fletcher.

My mental image of Fletcher