Blog 7: Poetry

Surprisingly, my overall outlook about poetry has changed much more than I thought it would have. I have grown to at least understand the general gist of poetry, and I now understand that it is not all about rhyme but more about telling a story for the readers to understand. This is mainly due to the fact that before, in middle school, the most I learned about poetry was the bare minimum. The only thing I was taught was the basics of poetry, however, now that I have taken a deeper lesson into what the purpose of what poetry really is, I finally understand everything that I need to know, and because of this, I enjoy it much more. The poems that I selected to research are a very good example of how I now understand poetry much more. The first poem that I decided to pick was “Dancing Towards Bethlehem” by Billy Collins. This is really important because before I took a deeper dive into understanding poetry I really would not have enjoyed this Poem. It would have seemed like a poor attempt to make rhymes for something that does not make a whole lot of sense. But now that I was able to completely dissect this poem and that I am able to fully understand everything, it is a brilliant poem. I now understand that poetry is much more than what people make it out to be.