“The Maze Runner” by James Dashner

Currently I am reading “The Maze Runner” by James Dashner. The story begins with a boy that is in an elevator that is rapidly dropping down at an extreme rate. The boy completely forgets everything about himself except for his name, Thomas. This really is confusing to me. How can someone completely forget everything about himself, where he is from, absolutely everything, except his name? This is one thing I have been trying to comprehend but the story hasn’t really explained. Nevertheless, I think Thomas is a very smart character. He has constantly been trying to find out information and thinking about ways he could escape. Thomas meets a group of people when he gets to the bottom of the elevator. The people act calm as though they have been through the process of meeting a new person before. Due to this fact, I can assume that Thomas will be informed about who he is and where he is in the next chapter. Also, another big thing I believe Thomas will figure out is a way possible to escape from where he is. The story does not state what year or where it takes place. But from what I am lead to believe, it is very deep underground and extremely dark everywhere. Also, whoever designed this place put a great amount of time and effort into the creation of it. Because of how impossible and unrealistic all of it seems, I am going to assume that the time is in the future. I have no real knowledge of why Thomas has ended up where he is, but my assumption is that he was brainwashed and sent deep underground to be forced to go through very dangerous tasks. Just like any story, I think it is safe to assume that Thomas will meet people in this group that he likes and agrees with, and people that he dislikes and disagrees with. This is a well known novel and in every well known novel people need to hate someone so I would think this is safe to assume. But all in all, the first few chapters of “The Maze Runner” are very interesting, and I am very excited to see what will occur next.