Argumentative Reflection

Over the course of this unit, my thoughts and understanding of debating and arguments have changed a whole lot. We argue all day everyday from really small topics to larger, bigger scale issues and we tend to not realize it. This introduces the problem of people not arguing correctly or being educated on what they are arguing beforehand. The time that is appropriate for arguing can depend upon the issue you are arguing. If you are debating about a very big issue then you should make sure the time is appropriate and you are in the right place to argue. If you try to argue a large topic during a family gathering that would most likely be the wrong time. People argue about small topics all day long and usually, it is appropriate anytime. The way you want to argue is pretty much the same format every time. You want to be well educated on the issue at hand and you start by giving your facts and side of the argument. Then at some point, the other side will ask you questions and later on, you will provide your response to the questions. There should be structure to the argument, it shouldn’t just be two people screaming words at each other thinking they are the only opinion. The difference between how people my age and how adults argue has a very distinct difference. My friends and kids in my grade tend to go off of what they know already and won’t do any other research, especially not about the other side of the argument. They don’t do any research to be educated on actually arguing their side. Adults on the other hand, usually are very well educated (most of the time) and know how to argue with structure. I feel like this unit and all the assignments we did with it proved to be beneficial in opening up students’ minds on how arguments should actually be structured and teaching them how to research what they are debating on. I also learned many different ways to point out fallacies and how to counter them. It also taught me how to take in everything the other side is saying and give my stance on each argument they make.

0 comments