Character Development in “It”

One of the things that is working really well in my book is the development of characters and the way they interact with each other. Stephen King did a very good job on making the characters relatable to his audience. I can transfer this over to my short story by spending time making the characters feel like real people with emotions. This will help make the readers relate to them and get interested in the conflicts they are going through. In “It” the characters go through a lot of situations where they have to talk as a group and figure out what they need to do, all while still being slightly inexperienced, young teenagers. In one situation the one kid from the group of friends is getting bullied which occurs a lot in high school. His friends end up coming to help him and even though they know they aren’t stronger than the bullies they still decide to stand up for him. I think these kind of situations in stories help develop the relationship between the characters and make them appeal to the readers and makes them want to keep reading. I am going to do this in my story by making the main character be really close to his family in order to build that kind of relationship between them. This allows me to use the character’s family as motivation for his survival, in turn making the story very emotionally appealing. The readers will see this relationship and want the main character to succeed in his journey. I believe that character development will be one of the biggest things that I will need to incorporate and spend time including in my story, and by reading “It” by Stephen King I have a better idea of what that looks like.

0 comments