Blog 10: Debate

My topic for the debate is the cons of the border wall. Now in my opinion, this is tricky because of the many pros and cons that come along with this topic. In all honesty, I am not very informed on the cons of the wall, I’ve heard plenty of people saying how it could cut back our tax dollars, and prevent illegals from coming in, but that’s about it. I’m not a very political person, so this just isn’t my taste really. I’m going to approach this debate very calmly, since my opinion is not very strong, and try to get people to open up their minds. Political thinking is always one way or the other, and you cannot see things in a new light if you think too strongly of a topic. That is why a basic google search will be super biased one way or the other.  My best bet would be a logical standpoint, since facts don’t care about your opinion. I can find plenty of evidence of past acts like this one, and causing no change in the illegal immigration issue. There is a chance this is a lot of labor and money, and only causing a dent. The cartels can easily outsmart the checkpoints if they want to have access to the U.S. On the other hand, emotion can be used in this debate. I will attempt to make people feel empathy for the immigrants trying to escape their old lives, and give their kids hope for their futures. Another emotional point I can create is how it can disrupt wildlife, dividing parks and wildlife refuges. I guess I would prefer for us to have controlled immigration as much as possible, but at the same time, an economy cannot function correctly without illegals. They contribute to the economy in many ways. Also, a lot of money will be used on the border, making prices go out of whack. Even though I don’t have a super strong opinion on this topic, I will be looking forward to hearing how other people react to this debate.