“Wildfire” by Karsten Knight

I am reading the book “Wildfire” by Karsten Knight. This book is about a girl named Ashline Wilde and all the troubles she faces as she goes through life. From her old school that was causing her problems to her new school where she discovers a group of gods and goddesses that have been summoned. I chose this book because it is something different from what I normally read and I thought it would be good for me to try something new. The only way to get better is to expand your horizons and try new things.

The book starts out in the parking lot of Ashline Wildes high school where she is confronting a girl who her boyfriend cheated on her with. It is a very dramatic scene and eventually her boyfriend shows up to try to calm down the situation. It does not end well for anyone. Ashlines ex-boyfriend and co-respondent get the bad side of Ashlines temper and Ashline gets in trouble with the vice-principle. Along with getting in trouble with the school administrator, Ashlines estranged sister Eve comes back to stir-up trouble.

First impressions of the main character Ashline is that she is very short tempered and seems to let her emotions get the best of her. Most people do not resort to fighting in the situation she was dealing with. Many would talk it out but not Ashline. I have yet to learn what her home life is like but it sounds like it could be stressful and maybe that is why she acts how she does. She is the only Polynesian girl in her school. The co-respondent, Lizzie, made a comment saying “You’re just some crazy bush child that your parents came home from vacation with”. That statement led me to believe that Ashline was adopted and is not her parent biological child. Later in the chapter I was able to confirm that statement when the author wrote “…Lizzie hadn’t even finished her verbal portrait of Ashline’s birth parents when, in a blur, the Polynesian girl’s hands wrapped around Lizzie’s skull and threw her across the circle”. That statement shows how aggressive Ashline can be and portrays the idea that she was in fact adopted. Adoption can lead to emotional effects on ones well being and could very well be the case for Ashline.