Blog 7: Poetry

So far I have read 7 poems in class and I have truly only liked 2 of them. I liked Eldorado by Edgar Allen Poe and Nothing Gold Can Stay by Robert Frost because I enjoyed what they were about, what I got out of them and learned from them, and that they were easy for me to pick up on what they were about. I feel like I can only like a poem if it’s about something I care about. Eldorado took me a little longer to get the meaning and get what the knight was going in each stanza but when I did the sound and sense questions for it I actually felt like I partly knew what I was talking about. I feel like I would not understand any of it if I would not do those questions. I still do not like poetry that much because it is not something I would read in my free time so I do not really want to put the effort into learning about it so it has been a little hard but when I try it is not that bad. Some parts that are hard for me to get are the examples of paradox, overstatement, understatement, and irony. I do not really know why but for both poems I have done the sound and sense questions with that has been the hardest part for me. Before doing these questions I did not get the use of imagery in poems but I understand it better now because it is like the pictures it is trying to paint in your mind as you read it and how they explain it to you. Finding symbols in the story helps he realize the more important things in the poem and what I should be more focused on.