Reading Log 1- A Thousand Pieces of You

The book I am reading is called A Thousand Pieces of You. After I read the summary on the back of the book I thought it sounded really interesting and decided to start reading it. It’s about a girl named Marguerite Caine who’s parents are brilliant physicists. Her mother’s new invention called the Firebird allows people to travel through dimensions. When a man named Paul Markov murders her father and steals her mother’s invention Marguerite and her parents’ assistant Theo decide to use prototypes of the Firebird to track him down. Marguerite doesn’t plan on just tracking him down she plans on killing him. The book starts right when she jumps into another dimension. She is in a dimension where her family lives in England and doesn’t know how much time she has until her consciousness leaves that dimension. Marguerite isn’t into science like her parents, even though she was homeschooled by them, she is more into the arts and plans on going to Rhode Island School of Design in the fall. I’m more into science than painting so I can’t understand how she could want to go off to an art school when her parents just built a device that lets people travel through different dimensions. Also, I think it’s insane that she’s traveling through different dimensions trying to track down and kill her father’s murderer even when she knows there are billions of dimensions and almost impossible to actually find Paul. She also left her mom alone on the day of her dad’s death. This probably made her mother even more upset because she just lost her husband and now she doesn’t know when or if she’ll see her daughter again. Now I’m going to go back to talking about how many dimensions there could be. In a study in 2009, “Stanford physicists Andrei Linde and Vitaly Vanchurin have calculated the number of all possible universes, coming up with an answer of 10^10^16” (Lisa Zyga, phys.org). That’s not all, “the scientists explain that it would have been even more humongous, except that we observers are limited in our ability to distinguish more universes; otherwise, there could be as many as 10^10^10^7 universes”  (Lisa Zyga, phys.org).