Poems

After reading poetry and analyzing different types of poetry I think I’ve started to like it more. My reaction to the poems we’ve read is that at first I didn’t understand them but after taking them apart and really thinking about them, I actually enjoyed it. As I was coming up for the theme for Eldorado, I automatically thought about the obvious answers. But, as I started to type, I realized there might be a completely different approach to the entire poem. With this in mind I reread the poem and my theory seems to make sense. It might be really far fetched and kind of depressing but I think I might have figured it out. Taking apart the poem and analyzing it from a different point of view was actually kind of intriguing. Basically what I’m trying to say is that I have a new respect for poetry and don’t dislike it as much as I used to. I am also very happy with the poem I chose to “like”. It really inspired me. I’m glad we are focusing on different authors then we’ve learned about in the past. I know we are probably to eventually write our own poems and It first I was scared but now I think it might be kind of cool. It’s hard not to over think it though, because the more a read into my own work, the more I start to dislike it. I remember reading a poem by Robert Frost, The Road not Taken, in 6th grade and recently reread it for the best and worst poems assignment. It’s crazy how just by getting older and having different experiences can change the way you interpret poems. I think it’s cool how some poems give you the freedom to decide what angel you view it from. Even the situation someone is currently in can affect how they read a poem. I really hope we don’t actually have to write an essay on Eldorado. I can probably do it, it’s just probably going to be assigned over Thanksgiving break and that is not ideal.