Book Reveiw

The first book I’ve decided to read this quarter is Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. I chose this book because I bought it at a book fair a couple of years ago and never read it. I was drawn to this book because I had seen the movie trailer and I wanted to read it before I saw the movie. Normally, I don’t read much from the fantasy genre, but the book got great reviews and is a #1 New York Times best seller. So far, the book is about a kid named Jacob who grew up listening to his grandfather who told him very detailed and out of this world stories. Jacob’s grandfather would particularly talk about his time at an orphanage on island in Wales. Along with these stories, he also showed him pictures of the weird things that occurred on the island. Some of the kids who were at the orphanage with him are really freaky, like a girl that wears a crown and can levitate, a set of creepy twins with super strength and a man that has a face in the front and a face on the back that’s painted to look like a clown. Jacob believed these stories when he was a kid but now that he’s 16, he’s convinced they are all lies and exaggerations of the real stories. Now that his grandpa is getting older, Jacob and his family are convinced he has dementia. He seems to believe all the stories he used to tell are coming back to haunt him. I don’t think his grandfather is crazy, and I also don’t think Jacob is entirely convinced either. His curiosity and crave for adventure will most likely lead him to find proof that his grandfather’s stories are actually real. This book also includes the photos that are described and they’re kinda eerie. I’m not gonna lie, I’m not the biggest fan of horror or thriller novels/movies and tend to be creeped out very easily. But other then that, I am very intrigued with this book so far and I’m very interested to read on.