The evolution of my short story

My story when I initially thought it out was much different than it is now. I think my initial thought for the story would’ve been too long. I had to leave out some details or my story would’ve been a book. When I first started writing my story I wanted the main character to be really money obsessed, probably inspired from “the Devil and Tom Walker”, When I was writing my story I couldn’t quite figure out how to add details that would say that he’s money obsessed. He’s kind of just a normal man in my story now. I also wanted Steve to be interacting with the mafia, but in my story it’s more like he’s interacting with maybe some drug lords. I really don’t like my story right now, I feel everything is really rushed and very expected. I feel like you already know what’s coming as a reader. I also feel like I’m much better at writing upbeat, funny stories for kids. I think I settled on a six word story that I really didn’t have a vision for. I also don’t really know much about drug lords or the mafia so I didn’t know what they hire people to do. I didn’t really research what they either. When I start really finishing up my story I’m going to change some things around. I really stuck to what i originally planned things out to be because I thought we weren’t really supposed to change things up. But I realized everyone’s stories are going to change ways once you begin writing and changing things up. Some things don’t work the way you want them to or some things don’t make sense, or you can’t add the right details to make that detail make sense. I enjoy writing, I’m pretty good at it. But that is the part I hate. When I have a vision and can’t put it down on paper.