The Hate U Give

The book I chose to read is called “The Hate U Give”. I’m not much into reading so I chose this book because it was in the top ten books good for teenagers. I haven’t finished a book that I haven’t needed to read in school in I don’t know how long. So we will see if I like this one.

The book starts with the character Starr Carter, who is the narrator of the book. In the beginning action Starr went to a party with her friend Kenya. Kenya made Starr feel super uncomfortable/out of place at the party because she accused her of being stuck up. Starr attends school at Williamson Prep, which the majority of the students are white (Start is black). Kenya goes to a public school where the majority is black called Garden Heights (Kenya is black). Later in the chapter we come to find out that Kenya and Starr are friends because they share a brother named Seven. They also went to the same elementary school before Starr started going to prep school. At the party Kenya was gossiping, talking behind people’s back, talking about boys, all the teenage girl stuff and she at one point left Starr all alone. Starr kept some conversations going with some of her former classmates from Garden Heights Elementary. She saw her childhood best friend Khalil, which she hadn’t seen in ages. Then all of a sudden everyone at the party heard an outbreak of gunshots. Start runs to Khalil’s car and texts Kenya to see if she’s okay. In Khalil’s car, Khalil explained that they can’t have a party without having a shooting, and that it was most likely a dispute between some local gangs. Khalil played Starr his favorite albums by Tupac called “Thug Life”. Khalil told Starr that thug life stands for “The hate you give little infants f***s everybody”.

I think it’s pretty cool there’s a book about black school culture. I don’t have any experience or knowledge about those types of schools. I also think it’s really good that we already know where the title of the boom came from. Hopefully there’s better stuff to come, there isn’t much of a story now.