Debates are cool

I thought doing a  formal debate was very interesting because it was something I have never done, nor did I know it even existed. You really grabbed my attention when you said, “nobody cares what you think”. Then, I realized that it’s true, nobody really cares about my opinion. This was a real eye opener to me for some reason. Most arguments are stupid and pointless, because thye usually don’t use any sort of relevants facts. It’s just people yelling at each other, and even if someone is right, it doesn’t matter. They will keep “arguing” with you until no end, and the whole thing is just a waste of time. At the start of this unit, I thought the debate would just entail me sitting across from someone, spittin flames until they give up, but thats not the case at all. I had no idea that I would have to follow a structured format, with time limits and fallacies, and all that stuff. Like you said, the purpose of an argument is not to change the mind of the person you are debating, but instead, alter the way the people observing the debate think (the audience). This unit completely changed my view on argument, showing me that it can in fact, have a legitimate purpose. Even presidential debates, which you would think, would be the most formal and professional debates you would ever see. However, the fact is that they are just two people trying to voice their party’s opinions, but end up just slewing insults at each other. Developing a persuasive speech was very easy to me, as argumentative type essays seem to come easy for me. I think the one thing I learned from watching other people debate was time management. Observing people run out of time made me get a feel for how long I should talk. I think the bes debate was by Nate, because he had no background knowledge on his topic, and he was still able to deliver a very good arguement.