The Carnival at Bray Blog 1

So, I chose this book not because it was the first book I saw in the library but because the title of the story,” The Carnival at Bray”, just stood out to me. When I read the back of the book it said how Maggie, the main character in the story, went through first love and sudden death simultaneously. Which that got me thinking that maybe the conflict in this story isn’t crap and it might be good. So that’s why I chose this book trust me. So far, the main characters I’ve only read about were Maggie’s family. She has a mother Laura Lynch who ended up divorcing Maggie’s father in Chicago and marrying/moving away with a man to Ireland. Maggie has a grandma Nanny Ei, a younger sister Ronnie and I’m a little bit certain that Colm is their step-sister or friend? I’m not quite sure yet but, I’ll figure it out sooner. Well anyways this family moves to Ireland and Maggie is seeing all of the Irish kids and how they dress and she’s thinking that she probably won’t fit in since she’s from Chicago. Maggie, Ronnie, and Colm head out to the carnival at Bray to check it out. They ride lots of rides like The Takeoff and Space Odyssey. Ronnie urges Maggie to ride bumper cars and when Maggie does she ends up getting hit in the head and has a big bruise by her temple. After she was done with bumper cars she decided to go on the Ferris Wheel. Now it’s about late evening and dark out plus it’s raining so it already sounds kind of sketchy. While she’s riding up she starts to see some things like Saint Paul’s Church, a pub called Quayside, and east to her was the ocean. She says that there was nothing but waves and darkness which makes me feel like something bad might happen toward the ocean just because of how dark and quiet it is. As she’s going around the Ferris Wheel she starts getting paranoid like what if she falls out and what if the ride suddenly stops or breaks. So that really is just what’s happening so far in the story.