WHY POETRY

Poetry has always been a rough topic for me as it never really made sense to me. I could understand that poetry can rhyme but doesn’t have . I understand that there are different forms and configurations that  a poem can take. I just never really learned how to identify these patterns and put term to them. Whenever a English teacher would say that it’s poetry time student usually dread going to that class because they’re going to sit through a lecture about a pattern. This class was not like that and I was actually interested in maybe writing or thinking of a semi- decent poem. For all the poems we read they were  the generic English classroom poems. We went deeper into analyzing them but that’s what I expected from this class. I might begin to understand some of the different terms. When the class went over Eldorado the questions were tougher than any I’ve seen before and again that was to be expected. What we went over made sense eventually. When we were told to give the theme and support it I thought the poem was about not chasing fairy tales or hidden treasure because it will most likely ruin your life. The real theme was about the author’s life and about how you will only find love in your dreams or you won’t and you’ll die lonely. My guess was pretty far off but at least I could tell it was about chasing something. A few assignments later we got a chance to write our own poems. I decided to write my poem about my lack of skill in writing. For example, I only have this sentence in this blog to make the word count. This was an easy topic as it’s something that happened every time I’ve written anything or had to find a topic. I don’t really know what form it’s going to be in or what rhyme scheme I’m going to use but I actually want to make a good poem. It should not be that hard as my topic is pretty easy to write about for me.