Blue Guy Blog

Thrawn: Alliances was a great book in my opinion. There was a lot of action with a lot characters that I really liked. The story ended in a way that I liked and it added a lot to the character of Grand Admiral Thrawn. I loved the book and sort of geeked out at certain points where the characters would do something awesome or display some sort power or ability that you didn’t know they had. Then there were the four main characters in the story Padme Amadala, Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader, and Thrawn. Each of these characters have their own reputation in the star wars galaxy and any star wars fan would know who they are except for maybe Trawn. I read the book because it was the second book in the series first of all and because Thrawn is probably the most interesting character in the star wars galaxy. I read the first book in about five days and read it a second time while waiting for this book to be released. A soon as this book hit the stores I bought it and I was on a family trip through Pittsburgh and I happened to see it at a random book store. I probably spent more time with the book than my family after that point. For most of the book I was Hoping for more information of Thrawn or some new bits of Star wars lore that I could tell some of my friends about. I was not disappointed. Throughout the story there were many mentions about new species of aliens with new and powerful technology. Some new and strange tactics such as a species known as the Grysk who used bugs that turned into stone on contact with any surface. They were able to immobilize Darth Vader with this technology. Another example would be the same species using a small cloaked Hyperspace blocking station to block the only Hyperspace lane in the region. Even though Thrawn found, disabled, and captured the station I thought it was pretty cool because while this was happening Vader was telling Thrawn that this sort of Tech. was impossible because to project the field and stay cloaked would point out their location. Thrawn figured out their secret as the aliens would de-cloak the second the star destroyer would try to jump and project the field and then re-cloak. This is where Thrawn does his awesome stuff. Vader was getting mad because he thought that it was the people on the star destroyer making a mistake somehow and he wanted to take a huge detour that would take four days longer than being able to use the route they were trying to use. Thrawn knew better as he asked vader to stay for twelve hours to figure out the problem. Vader agreed but made it clear that they were not staying any longer and Thrawn gave a little nod that was basically saying that they weren’t going to be there that long. They weren’t. Thrawn found the station in half the time. There were just little pieces of the story that added so much to the character of Thrawn and made him so much more awesome. The story also was from the point of view of Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader, and Padme Amadala. I thought that was cool because I haven’t read a book from any of those character’s point of view before. Besides Thrawn I think Darth Vader’s point of view was my favorite as it showed his thinking process. I would definitely recommend this book to any star wars fan but only after reading the first book in the series.