Blog 18: Vertigo

Source: https://fallmeeting.agu.org/2014/scientific-program/swirls/

I am not even sure how to start my initial thoughts on Vertigo. So… this movie is just… weird. The plot is practically Tzeentchian by nature yet somehow all comes around to join together in one unifying plot. The motives for the people in the film seem to be standard, but the turns this film takes definitely speak to it’s psychological nature. A man going mad from the death of an individual who was not the individual that is now dead but is. The feeling you may have just gotten from reading that sentence is likely exactly what I felt throughout the majority of this movie. Though I can’t speak too soon since it isn’t technically over yet. The things I like most about this movie is exactly the somewhat confusing plot I mentioned earlier. It reminds me of a Bob Ross painting. When you start, it looks like a bunch of squares and crappy looking colors on a canvas. Afterwards though, you end up with an extremely coherent painting that demands attention from its passers. This imbues the plot with a certain charm, at least in my eyes, that one could make such a not terrible movie with so many fragmented subplots while maintaining cohesion to form a bigger picture. One thing I do not like about the movie is the acting and the stereotypes. It is a standard damsel in distress/affair story turned death instilled madness. Not to mention the acting out of such stereotypes is not incredibly well done. Now the dreaded question of modernization. I would first of all find a way to replace those template stereotype sub plots with something else. I’m not sure what exactly. The acting on such stereotypes could be better played out if they had to stay though. The next largest change I would make is an update to graphical aspects. Better camera equipment, 3D animations, and all that jazz. Oh, one final issue I had with the movie was it’s use of music. It seemed that for the majority of the movie the music was rather confused as to what mood it was trying to set. This was somewhat irritating considering we had to take notes on such music. Overall I would say this movie is something I would definitely suggest someone watch, but it certainly isn’t a movie I would be willing to re watch more than once.