Blog 14: Muddy Arguments

Source: https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/04/12-ways-to-win-an-argument-on-the-internet/

I argue very often with basically anything. I argue with myself from time to time whenever I am alone and bored. I very much enjoy arguing with people. The worst thing about my arguments is that most of the time they are pointless. The only other thing is that whenever I am wrong I usually¬†keep the argument going or make it convoluted to annoy whoever I am arguing. One of my favorite people to argue with is Conner Schneck. This is due to his tendency to forget that the argument is pointless, or persist fruitlessly regardless of how convoluted it gets. I put that last part in there as per his suggestion. The way I argue is fairly intense. I usually start out with attacking my opponent’s points before laying out any of my own. This demoralizes them and reduces their will to attack my points. Once they are properly disproven, I lay out my points and they usually go unopposed at that point. The alternative is that they do attack my points and prove me wrong. We usually end up reaching a stalemate at that point where all of our points are disproven but neither of us has any more to dish out. This is when I start to try and confuse them to reverse the damage. This has about a 50% chance of actually working and if it does, I walk away happy. If it doesn’t, I walk away happy anyway because I annoyed my opponent. The way my peers construct arguments is usually entirely based around my structure as I usually attack first. Usually, they are on the defensive for most of their argument, and they may do a little attacking afterward if their resolve hasn’t been decimated. The way adults argue with me is something I will talk about in regards to my parents. Their arguments consist of one of four phrases, “Whatever…”, “I don’t care…”, or “You aren’t 18 yet, you don’t get to decide anything…”, or “I’m done, stop talking to me, whatever.” Now walking away from this dumpster fire, how we can develop a valid argument? To do this you need two things, a solid foundation (a fort) and a way to attack your opponent’s foundation (guns). Without a foundation, the person’s “guns” have nothing to fire at. Without “guns”, you can’t shoot down the other’s points. Without either a foundation or the “guns”, a group is incapable of a proper argument. Another pet peeve of mine is when people try to yell over each other as if volume proves their point. Just listen to the other person argument, and if they yell over you, it makes your side look more valid. Overall, I enjoy arguing and have a fairly good understanding of how to do so effectively.