Blog 10: Misinterpreting Poetry Pt. 3

Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/two-eyes/836857208

My first impression of this poem was one of extreme confusion. It was worded so strangely and so abruptly that I had trouble figuring out the theme for a few hours if not a day. When I did figure out the theme though I had already made an assumption of what it was. I was close, saying that the authors little world represented order, but I misinterpreted this as him disliking order, not desiring it. I still have quite a few questions for the poem though. Some may seem obvious but I am obviously not the most knowing when it comes to poetry. First of all, what was the reason behind wording the poem so randomly and strangely. For example, we transition from the author putting his little world together straight into the meat of the poem. The real message of the author that I missed, the desire for order in a chaotic reality. Another question is the police sirens at the end. The message this is sending and the point of it being there is just flying right over my head. The only idea I could have is a representation of chaos in a world meant to be orderly. This is a bit of a stretch though. The sound and sense questions asked for this poem were slightly easier to answer as now I really knew what I was looking for. Unfortunately they are going along the lines of my incorrect assumption of the theme. The only difficulty I had with the questions was finding the poems reason for existing. The way writing poems has affected my analyzing is pretty significant. I immediately looked for stanzaic form and rhythm patterns as well as rhyme patterns. I was breezing through the first few questions but hit a wall as soon as it began asking for my interpretation. So writing poems has increased my ability to analyze poems, not give my perception of them. This is why I am still not a fan of analyzing poetry. And as such, I much prefer writing it. So I am hoping that there is little to no poetry analyzing left, though I feel my hopes are misplaced.