Blog 8: Fragile Facades

Source: https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-avoid-two-faced-people

The poetry I’ve read in class has been pretty bad. I’ll admit I did pick up to booklet of high school poetry so I wasn’t expecting anything Shakespearean. It didn’t affect my idea of or approach to poetry all too much, but our discussions did. I’m not sure about some people, but having a structure for my poem to go by has been fun. It is likely because it is similar to programming in a sense. You work out a line and then the next, then I had to rhyme and still have 8 syllables. I plugged things in and put things together. Most of the time the things didn’t work so I just kept throwing ideas at the line until it had something. Then I modified the words to pertain to the last two lines and overarching theme of the poem and boom, a poem is written. Of course this was the physical process that made the poem, not the mental and emotional one. I chose to write about human personality, specifically how people shape it and cover it up, because I’ve experienced these things in my life a lot. There are a lot of people I am close to where, if they are speaking to me, are a completely different person than when they are talking to someone else. I’ve understandably become able to see pretty clearly through peoples “public faces” to figure out their real intentions. I’m not saying I’m a psychic, but if someone tries to put on a mask for me I immediately look for cracks. Because of the personal experience with this and the way of thinking I attained from other people it was fairly easy to write this poem. It was just the structural limitations that I had to get around. I don’t think my poem is anything special but I hope it gives people insight into the possibility that everyone they see is not who they are. The kid you see who acts like they’re on top of the world is likely to have several flaws they are trying to cover up with outward confidence. This kid is likely to get very defensive or abnormally serious when you bring up their issue. The kid who constantly complains how terrible their family is may just be blaming them for their shortcomings. It’s all a paper mask, one wrong step and the whole thing gets torn to shreds.