Song of Myself

pic from: http://alicewalkersgarden.com/2015/03/poems-to-welcome-spring/broadway-grass-3/

When I first looked over “Song of Myself” some of the words he used immediately caught my attention. At this point I was interested in finding out the meanings and what this poem was really talking about. Going over the first part in class definitely helped a lot in understanding what was going on. Discussing certain key words in the stanzas and what they meant was a lot better for me than trying to figure it out on my own. After reading the first part I knew we were going to have to interpret some parts of it on our own. Analyzing poems and trying to find the underlying meaning is not definitely not something I am good at nor do I like doing. So I was not happy about this part at all. As I started reading our section, section 6, I already knew it was going to be rough. He liked to talk about grass and use it as a metaphor for society. he also talked about death an overwhelming amount as well. That was about the only thing I actually knew. For the rest of the section I just came up with something that made a little bit of sense and ran with it. Some thing I interpreted was his great love for the society (the grass) and equality. Another thing is the way he perceives death and talks about it. He talks about it as though we should not fear it because it is going to happen to all of us. I think it is obvious throughout this writing that there is transcendentalist philosophy being used. he uses it by talking about all the good things in our lives, how amazing we are, and how great society is. Throughout his works he looks at the good side of everything. In my opinion the most important line from section 6 is “Or I guess the grass is itself a child, the produced babe of the vegetation.” I believe this means that society is produced by us and that we have the ability to change things for the better, to have a better outcome. From section 17 I would choose “This is the grass that grows wherever the land is and the water is.” To my understanding this is saying that society will grow where there are people around. 

0 comments on “Song of MyselfAdd yours →