Thoreau’s Attempt

There are many connections that I can make between Thoreau’s thoughts and Emerson’s thoughts. Such as, how they feel about nature. They both think that everyone should appreciate the world around us and stop thinking so much about materialistic things.I think the main point of “Where I Lived and What I Lived For” is how we should appreciate nature and people shouldn’t be greedy, because there are people out there that have less than what they do. I feel like the main point of “The Conclusion” is explaining how we should be happy for what we have and that money isn’t always a necessity. Also, I think another main point in “The Conclusion” is that we should all take some time and try new things without electronics and away from the city. The benefits of Thoreau’s experiment would be that he’s closer to nature and would have a better connection with it. He could see how animals live and how it feels to have basically nothing while living in the woods through each season. If I was doing this experiment, I would probably miss the noise. I feel like it’s really quiet in the woods and you would hear every little thing which could be scary. I would also miss electricity and plumbing because if you’re in the woods it gets very dark and that could scare some people because they won’t know what’s going on. I don’t think I could do this experiment because there are some scary things in the woods. I think a lesson that modern people should take out of Transcendentalism is that they should put down their phones and enjoy nature. The reason why I think this is because everyone nowadays is glued to their phones and doesn’t take the time out of their day to go and smell the flowers or just enjoy the outside.