Frogs, Finn, and iMom

The short story, “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County” was very well written. The contrast between the¬†diction in the first paragraph compared to the rest of the paragraphs shows the difference in social classes. Simon Wheeler appears to have low intelligence and the narrator judges him when he first meets him at a dive bar. The humor that Mark Twain uses is showing that the narrator who is supposed to be smarter is taking time to listen to a made-up story made by Wheeler. In the end, the reader realizes that Wheeler knew what he was doing when he told a crazy story. The point of the story was to make fun of the narrator as well as the reader for listening to the pointless story. It promotes the warning of don’t judge a book by it’s cover. I think that “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” is going to contain some humor based on what we have read from Mark Twain. I don’t know much about this story, but from the title, I imagine the main character Huckleberry Finn will be going on a journey of some sort. I know from researching the author’s life that this story is based on a small southern town he grew up in. I also know there are elements of slavery in the book, so I am confused about how this story will include satire in it. I found the short film “iMom” very disturbing. The way it was created with the overwhelming news reports, in the beginning, made it seem like there was something to be feared. The film satirized the fact that society is too reliant on technology. In the film, it showed how technology can go wrong when after a power outage it is implied that the iMom cooked the baby instead of the chicken. The film also satirized modern-day parenting. In the commercial for the iMom, it showed a couple different types of parents including helicopter parents, party parents, and parents with an unhealthy relationship. The presentation of the film was presented in a way that makes it seem like an epidemic or problem is about to occur. The film uses dark humor as well.

Image result for frog competition

Picture from: https://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-calaveras-county-frog-jumping-contest-breaks-record-20131018-story.html