End of Argument

Overall my thoughts and opinions in regards to debating have not changed very much. The major thing that I learned from this unit is how to identify others fallacies in their arguments. The 30 seconds of fallacies activity was a good way to show real-life scenarios of the fallacies. In everyday arguments, they are present like when asking your parents for permission to do something and using the everyone is doing it argument.  It is also present in politics, magazines, and many other

Picture from: https://www.memedroid.com/memes/tag/argument

forms of media. Arguing, when done correctly, is an effective way to get your point across. Most people are pretty set in their ideas but arguing can be a way to help someone see the other side. I feel that it is best to ask questions so they have to think about what they are saying and consider things. Sometimes peers construct arguments that have many holes in them just because they are stuck in their own ways. I can be guilty of this too. Even adults can be guilty of this, but sometimes with more experience comes better arguing. I found that when doing our debate project I started off not thinking I was going to find any valid information regarding the border wall, but I feel that I have a better understanding of the other side. Developing a valid argument all depends on how knowledgeable you are about a topic. The more facts you have the better because some people tend to argue with emotions rather than knowledge. At the beginning of the unit I thought that arguing always had to be a negative thing, but when done in the right way it can prove to be educational. Gathering my information for my debate while challenging was also fun. I enjoyed the fact that I was arguing for the side that I normally wouldn’t because I expected what questions my opponent was going to ask. The night before I was going to have to originally debate I was very nervous about it and didn’t feel very confident. Then when I had more time to consider what I wrote I felt more confident about it and was kind of excited to debate even though I was probably going to lose. Overall, being good at arguing is a skill that everyone needs at some point in their life.