Virtues Project

After learning about Franklin’s virtues and his troubles with them, I knew my experience was going to go similarly. We listed are virtues in the importance of affecting other people to affecting ourselves. The one I had the most trouble with was the virtue of silence. I am a generally talkative person that loves to gossip. I broke this virtue every single day except Sunday and I knew that I was doing it but I couldn’t stop. I am a generally clean and orderly person, but on Thursday we had an away swim meet and I felt disgusting and wasn’t very clean when I got home. I also broke it on Sunday because that’s my day of rest when I don’t shower and I go into hobo mode. On Friday I broke the most virtues, because I went to the basketball game and ate Applebees afterward. I broke wellness because Applebees is very unhealthy, I broke temperance because I overate, and I broke frugality because I spent unnecessary money. On Saturday I broke justice because I was unfair towards my uncle and told him I couldn’t work because I was busy with school work but in reality, I just wanted to hang out with my friends. It was also a rough night for temperance because I ate half a sheet of Rice Krispie treats while watching Die Hard. The rest of my week went pretty well with me breaking my usual silence and breaking tranquility every day because of my stress due to school and swimming. I am pretty sure Franklin was trying to stop breaking his virtues over the week, but I decided to just monitor how much I broke them. In the end, I broke my list of virtues a fair amount, but I was pretty consistent. It makes sense that I broke the most virtues over the weekend because I have time to actually think about things other than school. Some of the virtues I didn’t break were selfless, educate, resolution, order, moderation, and chastity. I don’t think I broke any of these over the course of this week, but this project is very subjective and sometimes it’s hard to recognize negative behaviors in yourself. Overall, this project taught me I am not a perfect person, but at least the virtues I broke the most affect me the most.