Poetry

I have a love/hate relationship with poetry. When I first read a poem I become frustrated because I find it very hard to understand. I love the rhythm of poetry and the concept, but not the actual analyzing. I don’t mind when we analyze it as a group or class because then it helps me understand the meaning. I’m not very good at finding a deeper meaning to things. I enjoyed the poem “Eldorado” because the style was simple and clear. When we analyzed it by ourselves we were very off about the meaning. I thought the purpose was that he was searching for something that can never be found. Eldorado represented something he would chase until he would die like the phrase, “Over the mountains of the moon” representing eternity. Apparently, the moon represents a woman’s menstrual cycle, which doesn’t make sense to me. I thought the lesson in the story was not to let greediness and wealth consume your life. However, once we talked about it in class there is a very different meaning to this poem. Apparently, this poem is about Edgar Allan Poe’s search for love¬†that he will never find. I honestly don’t understand how you could interpret that from the poem without some background on his life. The only line in the story that makes sense with that interpretation is, “And o’er his heart a shadow”. It makes sense that there is a shadow over his heart since he has no one to love. I found writing my own poem much easier, with the help of my table though. I wrote my poem about going to the dentist and having to get a cavity filled. It was so painful and my jaw still hurts from it. The deeper meaning to my poem is that I have good dental hygiene¬†I brush, floss, and all that jazz, yet I have cavities. This represents that no matter how hard you try there are some things that are completely out of your control. Hopefully, my poem doesn’t come off as stupid and you can understand the meaning I was trying to convey.

Picture from: https://boingboing.net/2016/11/08/heres-the-unexpected-origin.html