I agree that “that government is best which governs least.” I do not think that the government should be in control of every aspect of life and that the less they have to do with it, the better. However, I think that the government should have some power because if not there is no point. It would be unrealistic to have a government that barely governs. There is no reason that a government should be in control of all life in a country except that the people within the government want all of the power.¬† Thoreau says “let every man make known what kind of government would command his respect, and that will be one step toward obtaining it…” which is true but it is just unrealistic to think that we could find a government that “commands everyone’s respect.” There is no way to make everyone happy in any situation, especially with the form of government we have. Sure, it would be nice to make everyone happy, and it would be easier to enforce laws if they were respected by everyone, but that is just unrealistic. I really have no idea what kind of government most commands my respect. Sure, I think that there are some problems with our current government, but I do not know what they are or how to fix them so we might as well just leave it alone. I am privileged enough to live in a country where I do not actually have to worry about the government and I am grateful for that. The role of civil disobedience today is peaceful protests. These protests are usually not, in my opinion, as important as older protests because they are about lesser things. Most protests now are more for wants than needs. Yes, there are still protests for equality being done, but in America, there are far fewer that are needed. I believe that civil disobedience is still the most effective form of protest because when fighting for things, even if you are fighting for a good thing, if you use violence you seem like the bad guy. Very few people who protest violently are/were seen as good. If you are not seen as the good ones in the fight, then you probably will not win. Peaceful protests are the best way to go about things and almost always have been. Also, I really hope that this blog is not actually worth 100 points, but if it is, I truly did my best.

(from https://www.amazon.com/Disobedience-Solitude-Principle-Literary-Classics/dp/1573922021)