Blog 17: Song of myself

My initial reaction to Song of Myself wasn’t surprising to say the least. I barely understood it and in my opinion it was just another long dumb poem. Soon after reading and understanding the meeting of the poem, my reaction changed drastically. Whitman knew what he was talking about, he truly knew what to do. My favorite thing he says is,”Now is the best time to change”. I’m pretty sure it was along the lines of that.

I feel that the sections my group were assigned were some of the better ones (3&9). Section 3 was, in my opinion, one of the best sections. If you understood the corrects meaning behind it, it truly could change someone. Personally it inspired me to adopt the “Now is the best time to change” philosophy, and it has made a positive impact on my life so far.

His writings, specially this one, are more or less affected by transcendentalism. He is somewhat connect to nature a she describes society as blades of grass in a field. On the less side of it, in my opinion, he doesn’t really turn to nature that much in this poem.

Some of the most important lines to me have a meaning that applies to life and a meaning that I plan on following. “But I do not talk of the beginning or the end.”, this line is the first one that caught my eye. Focusing on the present is one of the most important things a person can. Dwindling on the past can waste time or ruin the future, while focusing on the future can make you forget about the present. “And will never be any more perfection than there is now,”. This line holds the most meaning to me. As I said earlier, this is my favorite line from Whitman. I could go on about why the meaning is so important but I’m tired and it is 10:30 p.m. 

The only difficulties I’m having is trying to understand some of his lines. They sound like they are to mean one thing but end up meaning something completely different. Whitman really outdid many others with this poem, if someone is intelligent enough to be able to understand the meaning of the whole poem, then that person will get advise beyond anything they have gotten.