Independent reading Blog 2 of 2

My second book for this independent reading stuff is “The Icebound Land”. This is the third book in the Ranger Apprentice series.

My general reaction to the book was one with mixed emotions. Along with the Scandinavians to betraying each other just to help Will and the Princess get away to fighting for the “throne”.¬† One of the things that really messed with my mind was when Will got addicted to warmweed. That is drug that the slaves used because it made them feel full and warm up in the cold and harsh climate. When Will was in a zombie state and all he wanted was warmweed was when I really thought that the end was near for Will.

I mostly read this book because the previous books were extraordinary and this could have only been better. Also because it was next in the series. I also knew this book would put me in its own world and I really like winter and snow, so all that stuff just got me hooked. I read a quick summary of it online and the plot itself was good enough to get anyone hooked.

I really liked the booked throughout the time I was reading it. There are really no dull or boring parts in this book. Even the side conversations between the character are interesting. There wasn’t anything negative about the book. The author did a great job with keeping the reader engaged and committed to the book. It is one of those books where you tell yourself “one more page” and then next thing you know its 2 a.m.

After the book I was a little shaken up. The events that unfolded throughout the chapters really kept me on edge and by the end I was legitimately worried about the characters well beings. I immediately went out to try and find the next book in the series.

I emphasized with the Princess in this book (sounds weird but hear me out). She went out of her way to help her friend (Will) and herself escape and survive. She did everything she could do and more, she cared more about his well being than her own. I feel as if I do that sometimes, during football if I knocked someone down or tackled them, I would immediately be helping them get back and asking if they’re good. That is definitely a weakness of mine. I am to nice.

I negatively emphasized with the Scandinavian trying to take over the Throne. He went out of his way to help the enemy take over his peoples land just so he could be in charge. Luckily he was caught in time. I just hate people that would harm others in any way to get what they want.

People should definitely  read this book. It literally puts you in a situation where you are forced to just keep reading to find out what happens next because you know you will not be able to sleep until you know. It is also a huge time passer. Over the winter break if you have nothing to do all then reading this will be so worth it. A new experience plus a boring day well spent. This book will make the reader want to read the other books and that means even more experiences and anxiety attacks.

This book was one of the best books I have ever read. It easily comes close to first (I do not know what my favorite book is). I read this during winter break and looking out and seeing the snow and imaging myself pushing a cart through that and doing all these other things really made me want to read more.