song of myself

Initially, I thought it was kind of odd for someone to be writing a poem about themselves. I’m definitely not a poet, but from my experiences of reading poetry, the majority of them have a deeper meaning about life or others. So, this one right off the bat had my interest. When we went through the first part together in class, I actually enjoyed listening to it. I liked how it sounded different to what I was used to hearing and it actually had my attention. When I first read the section my group was given I had to take a step back and try to figure out what I was reading, but that was something I enjoyed about the work. Once, I actually had an understanding of what was actually going on it the section, it was enjoyable to read. I loved how everything wasn’t straight forward, even though it was kind of annoying at times. Whitman’s devotion to Transcendentalism philosophy is seen throughout his work. In the section my group was assigned, he talked about how different things in life affecting him and making him into the person today. Even though there were hard times, he is still trying to better himself and be the best version of himself. This here is referring to  Transcendentalism. I think the most important lines in this section are, “These come to me days and nights and go from me again, But they are not the Me myself. Apart from the pulling and hauling stands what I am, ” I think these lines really get across that no matter what you’ve been through in life (background, people around you, social class, hardship) you’re always going to be you. But not just you, the best you, you can be. These lines portray the main meaning of this section and help the reader also understand that everyone has been through hard times, but don’t let it stop you from pursuing your goals. I would say the main difficulty I have with the work if figuring out exactly what he means by each phrase. I like that aspect and that it is challenging, but I still have difficulty with it. Other than that, I am enjoying this poem.