poetry

I usually don’t like poetry or at least the poems we’ve learned about before. Surprisingly, I found the poems we’ve talked about in class somewhat toleratable. I liked the day that we just looked at different poems from the books and just saw what was out there. I actually enjoyed a lot of those poems. One poem in particular that I liked was called Ed. I’m not sure who it was by, but to me, it didn’t seem like the average, hard to understand poem I’m used to. I think after that, I started walking into class more with an open mind about poems and what I would and wouldn’t like. Surprisingly, I also really like Eldorado. My first impression of it was pretty positive. I had to reread it a couple of times to make sure I was picking up on everything and later I found out I actually missed a lot. I kind of knew the idea of the shadow but I don’t think it registered to me how it changed meaning each throughout the poem. During our discussion about Eldorado, I realized that I actually missed some of those things. It was made a lot clearer to me how exactly the symbol of the shadow changed. In the beginning, it was shown as dark as the sunshine was shown as light. As the poem went on, it started to be shown as depression. When the symbol changed there I didn’t really pick up on that. Later it was even shown as death. I think from this poem I learned that I really need to pick the poems apart word by word to thoroughly understand each one. After analyzing this poem I also realized that I didn’t really know how to label a poem. During the notes I understood it, but I feel like this example really helped me. As for the poem that I am writing, I’m still not really sure what I’m going to write about. I was thinking the classic love poem maybe about friendship or something because I feel like that is what I’m most familiar with.