independent reading book one

For my first book, I chose Looking for Alaska by John Green. I chose this book because I really like the fault in our stars and paper towns. Now, you see, I never read those books, but I watched the movies. I started with high expectations for both, considering I heard about how much people cried watching it. Well, long story short, the movies were good, even though they had pretty bad endings. So in my experience with John Green stories, the endings are a letdown, but at the same time, I almost enjoy them? *SPOILER* Like no one wanted Augustus to die in TFIOS, but he did. So going into this book, I had the same expectations of a really good book, but a pretty bad ending. Now, I know that doesn’t make much sense, but if you continue to read this blog, you’ll get the idea of my thought process here. In the beginning of the book, I actually really enjoyed it. I really loved the character of Miles. He is a character that I think a lot of people can relate to. He is new going into a boarding school and was feeling a little nervous. He meets a friend by the name of “The Colonel” and I think friendship is what helps him through basically the whole story. I empathize positively with his character because I think a lot of young people can relate to this topic. When people are going into something bigger like a college or a new school it can definitely be a little scary if you don’t know anyone. Mile’s life is pretty average until he meets Alaska. Now, while reading this part I really felt bad for Miles. I mean he was obsessing over a girl the entire book. Alaska literally had a boyfriend, but Miles was head over heels for this girl. At one point in the book, Miles and The Colonel find out how Alaska’s mother passed away. She died of an¬†aneurysm right in front of Alaska when Alaska was eight… which explains a lot about her character. At this point in the story, I empathized with her character. Alaska, throughout the story, is portrayed as this mystery girl. Thinking about this, that is most likely the reason Miles was so interested in her. She was unlike anything he’s ever experienced and to him that was exciting. At this point in the story, things start to get a little confusing. She has created this bond with Miles throughout their time being together. Miles is obviously in love, but Alaska claims to love her boyfriend Jake. While hanging out with Miles, Alaska and him make out a little, which is a dream come true for Miles. At this moment he has no idea how she feels. Alaska then gets a phone call from her boyfriend and frantically leaves. Now I know that I should’ve picked up on how odd this was, but I was in the moment of reading and didn’t even realize. So as I continued reading, I found out that Alaska died in a car crash… Can we just take a moment to acknowledge how abruptly that ended? I put my book down after reading that and I didn’t even want to finish. After I read that sentence, I told all of my friends about the book even though they had no idea what I was even talking about. So would I recommend this to someone? If you want to be completely heartbroken, yes, it is an excellent option for you. Ok so back to the book, the ending was still a little rough, and you never really find out what did happen to Alaska. Did she love Miles? Was it suicide? Who knows,¬† but I should’ve expected this ending out of this book.