When You Confuse a Baby for a Chicken

When we were first assigned to read the short story,¬†“The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County,” I truly didn’t expect much from it. But after I read though it, I was amazed how much I actually enjoyed the story. I loved the nonsense stories Wheeler made up of how Smiley would win ever bet that he made, supposedly even winning a dog fight with a two legged dog. Even with the heavily satire nature of the story, I do find that the point Mark Twain was trying to make was something that we should all apply to ourselves: don’t judge someone by their appearance. When Wheeler realized the narrator thought of him lowly, he decided to waste the narrator’s time instead with this nonsensical story of Jim Smiley that he made up on the spot. The narrator realizes that he has been made to look like a fool and leaves in fury. I’m not sure on how I feel about reading¬†“The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” for the time we are assigned to do it. I think I’ll enjoy the satire within the book, but I do feel that will be parts that will be bit of a bore. I know that the story is a squeal to Twain’s previous book, “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.” I also know the main plot is about Huck helping out a slave named Jim to escape and become free. I feel that after reading this book, the social problems from that time era will be brought to attention. Though my thought’s on the short film, “IMom,” were completely different than how I felt about the short story. I didn’t like it that much. I knew half way through when the mother commented that the infant was her, “little chicken,” the baby was going to get stuffed and cooked in place of the chicken that was on the counter. The two things that were being satirized in the film was technology and parenting. The film is set in a time were we as people become so reliant on technology, that we think it would be a good idea for it to take care of our kids. The presentation of the film was a bit exaggerated with the parents in the commercial, but I did send its message across.