Civil Disobedience

From Thoreau’s “Civil Disobedience”, there is something about the quote,  “that government is best which governs least” is something that I don’t quite agree with or totally disagree with.  Though I do agree with that there should be citizen opinions within our government’s decisions, I believe there still should be restriction and control over the country’s/state’s government so total chaos breaking out. The role of government is to facilitate the well being of the countries/states citizens. It can help maintain financial stability, safety, the rights of citizens,  and maintaining laws. The role that government has in relation to the individual citizen is to protect human rights and individual rights. Each individual’s human needs are meant to be meet, this can include healthcare, social programs, food banks, and education. The citizen’s lives should be held at high importance. When Thoreau states, Thoreau states that “Let every man make known what kind of government would command his respect, and that will be one step toward obtaining it. . .”,  a government that would obtain my respect would be one that takes the citizens’ opinions into consideration. The government should still have laws in place to maintain peace, but they shouldn’t have too much control over the citizens, so they have the freedom to live a fulfilling life. Civil disobedience has a tremendous impact on today’s society. There are laws that the citizens want to be put in place so they can have the freedom to do as they will. And this is still effective even today with many protesting in the streets for their cause they believe in, fighting for their rights with their voices. With these protests, many new laws have been put in place to expand the rights that we can have within our country. The whole idea of Transcendentalism and how this excerpt ties in is really interesting to me. I’ve been enjoying this section quite a lot, which was something I wasn’t expecting to happen when I saw all of the work we had gotten in the beginning. I can’t wait to dive into the next assignments for this topic and learn more and more about this social movement.

Some songs that I listened to when typing this blog:

• I’m Still Standing by Elton John
  • Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac
  • Rock’n Me by Steve Miller Band
  • Cold as Ice by Foreigner
  • Barracuda by Heart