Debate

Should we allow more or fewer refugees into our country?

The argument for fewer:

We do not have enough security to do background checks on every person from Syria coming into our country.

Refugee communities have a history of forming terrorist groups.

It cost the US a lot of money to help refugees settle in America per person.

There have been several cases of terrorism in the US by refugees or legal immigrants.

The argument for more:

Most of the terrorist attacks in the US have been by non-muslims

Refugees have to go through the highest security checks out of anyone going into our country.

13.5 million Syrians are in need of assistance and refuge.

Of all the refugees admitted to the USA, only three have been convicted of terrorist attacks.

In my opinion, we should allow more refugees into the country. Right now our country is at a historical low 0f only 30,000. There is no evidence of increased security risk to our country to take as many as we were and with so many people suffering, we should do our part to help out with the humanitarian effort when our country is as stable as it is.

So far my school year has gone pretty well. I have gotten closer to a lot of people that I wasn’t close to last year which has been awesome. My SATs went pretty well and I made it into district chorus with a super high score so hopefully I can continue that level of achievement in my auditions/tests as the year progresses. Cross country season was amazing but also bittersweet because it is my last year with Mina. My school-work ethic has honestly not been very good, I have been procrastinating a lot and my motivation for school has been at an all-time low. That is something I really hope to change. What worries me the most is that I won’t be able to change my habits by the time I get to college and then I will really be hit hard with work that I put off. Also, professors will definitely not give as many breaks as some of my high school teachers do. But keeping up with school work is my new year’s goal so hopefully, I can get myself to follow through.