Analysis of a Dodo

When I first read “The Dodo’s Conundrum” my eyes hurt. There were literally so many different types of stanza forms and rhymes and everything else and to be honest my brain was not ready to figure all that out again. The theme also felt extremely confusing. Each stanza honestly felt like it could be its own separate poem. I wasn’t really sure if that was on purpose and the eventual process of connecting all of the stanzas into one big theme felt like a daunting task. The theme seemed like it was about how depressing life was but also not. I knew I really had to dig a lot deeper if I actually wanted to understand the poem. My questions: Is the author reflecting on his own life or someone else or everyone in general? Is the author implying that those people in the model town may be living lives of secret desperation or is he saying that comparative to the model train world we in reality live lives of secret desperation? How much significance is the model train world really? What are all the forms of poetry used in this because I am actually not completely sure yet?

The sound and sense questions were definitely harder to answer. Mostly a lot of the figurative language was way less noticeable and there were A LOT of stanza forms to recognize. If we hadn’t been able to work on it as a group I really doubt I would have been able to get through the questions. I’d have to say for this particular poem my writing of poetry didn’t seem to help all that much. I really don’t feel like I am a pro at this even then we wrote two poems. But lets be real two poems is definitely not enough to actually have a good hold on poetry. I mean I am NOT saying we should write more poetry though, I think we filled the high school English quota for the year. Last but not least I am going to be honest, I was really shocked when I found out the you/McGarry wrote the poem. That seemed to make everything about the poem even more confusing.