A story that’s short

Okay I’m going to be honest, I am not a huge fan of my short story idea. It just seems really unoriginal. I mean I feel like with all the TV and articles and books I consume on a regular basis I would have more creative juices flowing but as of present I really don’t. Thankfully, my story is maybe starting to grow on me. I still don’t really know where it’s going but hopefully somewhere interesting. The thing that I just hate about it though is that I don’t know if I would want to read my story if I just came across it as an outside person.

My idea stems from how much pressure is put on high scholars about the SAT. It feels like that test is like a defining moment in your high school career. And it is. It pretty much sets the stage for what colleges are in your reach and whether you will get scholarships. I want to make the point that what you get on the SAT, or other tests for that matter, doesn’t define you and what your life will become. Sadly, not doing well does lead to some consequences. But many of those are because of how put down we are mentally from our failure.

Because of the work that we have been doing, my story definitely is more of a story than a statement protesting SATs. It actually has characters with backstories and developing personalities. I also got a lot from listening to other people’s ideas for stories and I’m pretty excited to see how they turn out.

Whenever I have written stories in the past I have started out just throwing my ideas on a paper and hoping they get somewhere. This time around (even though I hate that I had homework) I feel more organized with my story because of all the work I have done dissecting the story I am going to write. Now I have set points to get to in my story. There is a lot of structure and hopefully I won’t need to do as much editing. I guess in the past I have thought of stories as more coincidental than they probably are. This is not the case I have now realized and I am glad because it will definitely improve my story writing. You know I feel like in most of my schooling they have focused more on other types of writing such as persuasive. Story writing has gotten tucked in the back corner. It’s kind of sad so I’m glad we are getting a chance to write a story now (even though it’s a lot of work).