Song of Myself

My initial reaction to Song of Myself was that it was extremely long and it also did not look interesting at all.  Our section was very confusing because there were so many ways to interpret each line, and if it was interpreted the wrong way, we wouldn’t  get credit so it was annoying to have to pick through and make sure every interpretation was correct.  His devotion to transcendentalism allowed the work to be very nature based, and he also related everything back to nature and used many aspects of nature as analogies for other meanings.  I think the most important line from section 6 was ” A child said What is Grass? Fetching it to me with full hands” because the child is pure and having the grass represent society allows the child to hold society to a more pure state, because that is all the child knows at this point in his life.  One difficultly I am having with the work is it was written so long ago, and some of the words he chose are hard for me to interpret and understand what he is trying to say.  Some of the lines from the poem are so confusing to analyze because of his word choice and also because half the words in this poem have underlying meanings.   I struggle with poetry to begin with so having to analyze a poem that is so complex has been frustrating and confusing.  I feel like if I could understand what Walt Whitman is trying to say I would enjoy reading this poem, but the information is too dense for me to pick apart.  The way I reacted to this poem was just confusion because there are so many ways to interpret things in every line that it is confusing to make sure I have the correct understanding of it that McGarry wants.  I’m hoping to be done with this poem soon because the thought of having to analyze more of this poem is very annoying.  It also doesn’t help that the very little notes I had are nowhere to be found, but it’s fine because they didn’t help much anyways.