Civil Disobedience

I actually do not believe that “the government is best which governs least”.  I feel that the government keeps the United States safe and somewhat under control.  I like to use the analogy of saying the parent represents the government, and the child represents citizens of the United States.  I think this shows the role of our government to the people well because parents show guidance to their children, punish them when they are wrong, and allow them to stay out of trouble for the most part because of their threats.  I think Thoreau means to allow a democracy when he states “let every man make known what kind of government would command his respect, and that will be one step toward obtaining it”, because this way every man would have respect because everyone has a say.  I do not think Civil Disobedience is effective today because the definition states “the refusal to comply with certain laws or to pay taxes and fines, as a peaceful form of political protest,” and most people need to pay their fines and taxes so they stay out of jail because they have families to take care of.  Other aspects of civil disobedience still might be out in the world but I do not have any recent examples of this to share.  I know it was substantial in the past because the amount of people that participated made it hard to ignore, but I also think we would not have the same quantity of people ready to protest now, as we did back then.  It’s unfortunate because I think it would be a logical way to get your opinion seen by the government, but I just feel that people are not as inclined today to protest as they were back then.  Mass amounts of people had to fight for their rights, and yes some people still need to today, but not nearly as many people are fighting in comparison to how many have already fought.  I honestly feel that if something substantial happened in the government, and it took away from most Americans, then we could break out Civil Disobedience, but until the I personally don’t think problems in the United States are big enough for it to be beneficial or even used properly.