blog 15

Thoreau and Emerson’s excerpts remind me of something being original.  In Emerson’s excerpts he talks about how society changes everyone into acting and sometimes even looking the same, and how we should change and break out of society to live by your own standards.  I also found that in his excerpts he explained the idea of pushing yourself to become better whether that is good for society or not.  This also could relate to Thoreau because his new house in a sense can almost be looked at as if he was playing the role of God, and according to the bible, God wants everyone to be successful and themselves.  I connect the thought of originality to both Thoreau and Emerson’s thoughts because they both wanted everything to become unique and not set in stone like society had been doing.  Thoreau just uses a house to help instead of humans.  He tries to say that it doesn’t matter if your rich or poor, a house is a house and can still find happiness.  Society is really the reason today as of to why people feel insecure about their homes because society has attacked them and made people think they aren’t as good as others if they don’t have a giant house.  The benefits of just going out to the woods is that you can get away from all the toxic people in your community, the ones that are responsible for society becoming the way it is.  I would miss interaction with other humans, but at the end of the day I don’t think it is worth being around toxic people just for some interaction.  I really think I could do it if I had a house out there with electricity and a dog.  I think I could live happily if i had a dog with me.  I think they’re better than most humans anyways.  I think the biggest thing to take away for a modern reader is that society does not have to define you.  People should be free to be able to be whoever they want to be and not get ridiculed for it.