Debate

The topic I have for the debate is pro abolish the electoral college.  In my personal opinion, I am against abolishing the electoral college, so this is going to be interesting.  I really didn’t know much about the topic before I did some research, but even now that I know a little more about the subject, I still don’t necessarily care about it.  When you google search “abolish electoral college” the first thing that comes up is a website saying it should be amended in the constitution, so my thoughts are that people feel strongly about abolishing the electoral college.  I also now think I need to do more research before I choose a side because it seems that there is a lot of information supporting pro abolishing.  My plan to address this topic is to start doing research.  After I do research, I think I will continue by stating each side and then listing arguments that can be made for each side as well on a piece of paper so my thoughts feel more organized before I start to do anything else.  I think if I bring in “the rights of the people” then  i’ll be okay because then people will know I am arguing for them and will feel more inclined to side with me rather than someone saying to keep the electoral college.  Some ethical issues with abolishing this could potentially be racial, or because of religion.  I feel like in today’s society, anyone can make an accusation that someone is doing something because of their race or religion instead of the actual problem at hand.  This is why this topic will be hard because Im sure there are multiple people that feel that they are trying to abolish the electoral college for the wrong reasons.  I am glad that I got this over abortion or a topic like that because they are so controversial I would almost feel uncomfortable debating those in a school setting especially because some people are too immature to handle the conversation.   So I don’t really want to debate electoral college because I think it is boring, but at the same time I am glad I got this.