I’ll Give You the Sun

I CAN”T RECOMMEND THIS BOOK MORE. I’M NOT GOING INTO EXTREME DETAIL BECAUSE I WANT Y’ALL TO READ THIS AND FIGURE IT OUT ON YOUR OWN. This book was recommended to me when I went to Cape May over the summer by some random college kid in a book store. I’m still trying to decided if that specific college kid wanted me to love the book or set me up for failure.┬áThere are many times while I was reading that I had to scan over the same page at least three times to understand what was being said. Main point: this book is rough! It was a hard story right from the beginning. Quite honestly it just continues to get worse. With everything drastic happening in the beginning it seems like there’s really no where else to go with the story but up, until you keep reading. I mean this could be a good thing in some stories because it could show some character development throughout the story, in this case it did, but not as much as it could’ve because there was nothing to compare the end result to. We didn’t really know much before all the “tragedies” occurred besides what each of the main characters claim to be true. The main characters are two siblings (brother and sister) who just so happen to be twins and both share an amazing artistic ability. In the beginning of the book their mother has just died and the the sister (Jude) takes it a little harder than the brother (Noah). I honestly didn’t expect much different because stereotypes but when more secrets start to unfold throughout the story, you begin to realize that those kinds of stereotypes are complete crap. As if the stereotypes couldn’t get worse, Jude and Noah apply to the same art school and only Jude gets accepted although they were pretty much at the same level which is the level of complete amazing-ness. This book focuses a lot on crushing stereotypes and features a lot of extreme teenager themes that I’m not going to expose because I can’t give away the whole story (McGarry if you want to know, I’ll tell ya). One of the confusing things in this story was that the point of view switches every chapter and each sibling is speaking about a different point in time. I personally did not like this style, but it reminded me of “The Last Five Years” which made me appreciate it more. The connections kinds mess with your head a little bit and you have to go back and remember what sibling is talking, but once you get that figured out it’s a well written story. I also love all the traditions they have that were passed down from their grandmother like old wive’s tales and such. I hope to be that crazy grandma one day. I believe one of the main themes of this story is that you should cherish your family at all costs because no matter what happens you’re always going to want their support. Speaking from experience, no matter how mad my siblings and I are at each other we always end up talking to each other about the good, the bad, and the ugly. I am a full believer that siblings are supposed to be your built in best friends (of course that doesn’t mean you can’t disagree with every single thing one of your siblings does) but it’s a lot easier to look past the differences. This honestly has turned into a book recommendation but I can’t help it that this is my reaction. I have cried over this book, became frustrated, and honestly invested way too much of my emotional strength into reading this, but it was well worth it. It provides a lot of crazy realizations about what other people are struggling through in high school and it’s definitely more than just getting good grades.