Independent reading-Escaping from Houdini

For the second book of the first making period independent reading I chose Escaping from Houdini. I expected for the book to be a thrilling murder mystery with a little gore. The book is part of a series and just came out as the final book so far, and the other books kept that trend.

I love the new characters in it and the stellar setting especially.

The  expectations were met in many ways with some exciting and maybe some dull changes. To begin with it was a murder mystery but much less gory than the past books, and lacked the interesting maybe a little inaccurate dissection of bodies. The book also lead to the main character playing less a major roll then the other books. I love this series, but I would have to say I did not like her much in this book. Holding true to the series it did not give away the killer very easily making me not solve it before the end, still. Expectations posses human error so I did not expect to be fully right.

The characters are very interesting to see and realistic for the time this story takes place in. Audrey is a contradicting example for the trends  of that era, she is a woman in the 1800’s that just wants to break the status quo of being weak and just a bird in a pretty little cage, but she gets majorly  judged for it. In this book she takes on a more

Of  a meek personality, as I mentioned before, and acts like a proper lady. Complimenting this Thomas is common for the time, they are very gentlemanly and courteous. Then we have the glorious Metropolises, the trope leader is a genius with great ideas and uses them is bring and fun ways. I find them to be intriguing because they seem to let the world seem like magic to people of that time who did not know how there machines worked. Also they give off a mysterious aura when they don’t allow the reader to know about their real name until near the end. Next, side characters are rich with story even if they are to be a corps in this gory story they are given thought to “how would this person act if.. ?” and many other questions making the book more life like, with the small details. Small and large details are what make a book a book so if i had to say this author did a good job at it as well.

The setting, and location appealed to me the most. Imagine you are on a estrangement luxurious ship, and then add entertainment to that already exciting instances.  The entertainment being a circus troupe at first glance it seems fun and exciting, but the more you think about it most tropes are made of sketchy individuals, keeping you on edge. This enhances the mysterious, and magical feel of the book lending itself to the setting. What i love about this is that they make the murders in the book even  more unsettling lending itself to the excitement of reading it. Over all very well played with where this takes place, and a fun read.

I would recommend this or someone to read unless i know they do not like gore. This book could act as a stand alone read like both the books of the series prior. I would say the target audience would be people who are into murder mysteries, or are in the mood for a realistic fiction book. If you are not part of this, I even would still recommend to read the series.