Another Critique

Related image

Picture by: https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/audiobook/the-sun-is-also-a-star-6

This quarter I chose to read the book The Sun Is Also The Star by Nicole Yoon. Before I decided what book I was going to read, I knew that I wanted to read a romance. When I found this book and realized that it was a romantic I decided right away that this was going to be the book I would read. As I started to read it, I was slightly confused about why it was considered a romantic. The book is filled with different sections with different characters’ point of views. Right away I thought this seems like a bizarre way to have a romance novel organized, but I went along with it. As I continued to read the first couple section it introduced the two main characters from their perspectives. At this point in the novel, there was no romance, just two kids living their own lives and dealing with some serious life problems. It took a while for the author to introduce the romance side of this book, and for a while, I was concerned I had picked the wrong book. As I began to think about why she would do this, I realized that it was so that it made this book an even better romance novel. Nicole Yoon incorporated both characters points of views so that you could really understand what was going on between them and their lives. This was such a smart way of really ensuring that this was a romantic because you hear both people in the relationship and how they feel.

Another example of how this book was considered a romance to me was certain things the author included at the beginning of the book. Before a relationship had started between the two main characters and they were just friends the author made sure to include subtle elements that made it clear to me about what was going to happen. The two main characters Daniel and Natasha were complete strangers before they briefly met at a record store. They then coincidentally ended up at the same stoplight and Daniel saved her from getting hit by a car. Daniel says, “She’s not paying enough attention to realize that a guy in a white BMW is about to run that red light. I yank her backward by her arm. Our feet tangle. We trip over each other and fall onto the sidewalk.”. As soon as I read this it had already fulfilled what a romance novel was supposed to do. It needed romance and this was just the beginning. Although many would say this was a cliche way to start a romance between two teenagers, it was necessary. You need an impressionable start to their relationship in order for the reader to realize the impact this one event is going to have on the rest of the book.

Last but not least the ending of the book managed to make even more clear that this was a romance novel and it completely satisfied what I wanted and needed in a romantic. Although it is not the most typical happy ending it still manages to be a happy ending. The author leaves you thinking that Daniel and Natasha are never going to see each other again until they meet again ten years later on an airplane.

Throughout the novel, the author included many things that make it as good of a romance as it is. Between the style of how she writes and the things, she incorporates in it. This book made me believe it was a romance novel just like it is listed as when you look it up.