Whitman’s Works

Image result for walt whitman

By: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Walt-Whitman

My initial reaction to the work was good. When I first started reading and analyzing the work I realized that the first section was not that difficult to interpret. After we were given two sections to analyze as a group is when it all started to go downhill. As I read my two sections I realized that this was way more difficult then I had suspected. There were so many things that were hard to understand and it felt like he was writing in code. My initial thoughts of my sections were confused and, honestly, I still am. I think that our section was mainly talking about how there are people that are always going to talk and act like they are going to get things done but they don’t and they end up being the ones that judge the most. Whitman’s thoughts on transcendentalism throughout the work influence his writing. He looks at life as everyone is born good and you can tell that is true when you read his works. He mentions the goodness in people at the time of death and birth. I think the lines where they talk about the “talkers” is one of the most important lines in our work. The idea of talkers is showing people you say they are going to take action but do not. This idea is one of the first lines of our section. I think it is important to the section because it has to do with the whole theme of the sections. It talks about how we need to continue to increase our members of society and look at life in so many ways. It also says how the world is filled with lots of mysteries that we continue to keep trying to understand better. There are still certain things that I do not understand completely. Some of the lines in the poem are difficult to completely understand. After I read the poem I think I have a pretty good understanding of what it all means, but honestly, there is a high chance that my understanding of the work is completely wrong. Overall, I didn’t mind reading and analyzing the work.