Song of Myself Blog

This work was very hard to understand and took a lot of analyzing. I believe the writer had many different views on life and supported all of them. The whole thing consisted of many thoughts in life. For example, society is the product of a previous society. Also that children are the people who decide the future of new society, while old people give us wisdom. The story starts with his thoughts on life and perspectives, and then eases in to his death. Our section seemed pretty self explanatory in general. It was mainly about his death and how the darkness was coming to him. He wanted to die peacefully and with positive people around him, he doesn’t wanna be miserable as he goes. The writer’s legacy will live on and he wants people to influence people even when he is gone. His commitment to a transcendentalism philosophy affected his writing and perspective. Many statements were things he believed, they were not scientifically proven. The writer’s view was spoken through the whole entire piece. None of this has to be agreed with or viewed the same by other people, such as myself. The most important lines would have to be “You will hardly know who I am or what I mean, But I shall be good health to you nevertheless,” explaining his legacy. Another one I think holds importance is ” The past and present wilt – I have fill’d them, emptied them. And proceed to fill my next fold of the future.” stating the main idea of death coming too him. Also, how he wants honest before the end, he wants the truth from god. All of them provide the main meanings of this story, and lead it up to the end. The work overall, I did not really understand. It is honestly pretty difficult to understand and the only clear part to me is our section because we analyzed it. As we go over it, I start to understand it more and more. I feel like this is a pretty truthful story though, and as you understand it, it all fits together well. Hence, “Song of Myself” is a work that takes thought and analyzing.