The Trifecta of Pandemic Forecasting.

When I first witnessed the The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock, I immediately thought of social anxiety. We see a character who doesn’t think he’ll be good enough, or capable to talk to women, or generally feel accepted instead of examined by a heartless organization of strangers, who are equally as unprepared as him. He mentions measuring his life in coffee spoons, possibly meaning it’s all that keeps him going. Quite depressing I might say. Towards the end he says it would have been worth communicating with the others, expressing possibly regret at the notion that he did not. All three of these poems are truly social commentary, something I mention again and again in this class because it seems to arise at every corner. Props to you for giving us these to review because they do hold truth somewhat timelessly.

The next work of poetry, Disillusionment at 10 o’clock, is but one iteration in the never ending call to be unique we hear so hypocritically out of society. The very practice of calling folks to be different has sadly become a cliche for mass appeal. This one, however, given the time of publishing, I can safely assume was written with genuine intentions, and out of real observations – not regurgitated taglines just for recognition. People of the time, and of our own, get very comfortable with being unremarkable. This is not good for the world. If we had more people striving for excellence we might be a more efficient and compassionate society. Here we see a drunken sailor regarded as this higher level of humanity. What Stephens is suggesting is that maybe, it is those who are broadly considered to be less than cosmopolitan that dare to exceed the lesser seen limitations of contemporary culture. I’m not sure I agree entirely, but I can see the importance of a creative mind. Perhaps instead he is making a point that the tidy yet unremarkable are creatively put to shame by the lowest society has to offer. On either we see a bold statement.

Our final, and least comprehensible piece is anyone lived in a pretty how town. I am still not confident that I have a solid understanding of it. It seems to be a story of a few commoners and the futility of life. There is not much more I have to say about it. It would however appear to have a larger message about men and women, about how anyone could be a man, and no one loves just anyone.

Anyway, I find the first to be most applicable and easiest to grasp and relate to. They seem to all have decreasingly dreary outlooks in the order I listed them, but all dark nonetheless.There is no time like the present to see evidence of a depressed peoples, and the outright fakery that perpetrates communications. With things like mass and social media, it should be plain to most people. What separates the wheat from the chaff if you will though, is the people who only realize this, and those who act on it to be better.

Related image

Peace out.