Satire and other sources of involuntary vocalizations.

I’ve laughed a lot in my day. I’m laughing right now. What makes me stop laughing however is digging into the details of what makes something funny. As it was said by E. B. White,

“Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.”

This is true. The very reason things are funny is because they subconsciously take you by surprise. If we get too analytical there is nothing left to jump out at us.

What do I find funny? While refraining from dismissing it as stupid humor, little of what I laugh at follows any intelligible sort of pattern or organized algorithm. Some things I appreciate as humorous and some I simply do not. Dry humor, when it is executed properly can be very comical. I also like certain jokes and memes that involve someone who does not abide by social conventions and is completely oblivious to the lack of acceptance of their actions. See? It’s not funny at all when you try to explain it. You either get it or you don’t. I have some quality examples of this laying around, but the majority of them are not the type you would be inclined to share with your teachers. I don’t have an appreciation for sarcasm or dark humor nine times out of ten, and that sets me apart from a lot of people. I’ll link something at the end which I found funny.

I know little about Mark Twain, save for Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, which I think were well written. For help on this very assignment, that is, to find satire, I reached out to a well read friend of mine who was able to guide me to some writings of Twain. I know the man can write, but I often do no enjoy delving into works over a century old as the English language has changed enough since then that it is tiring to read at times.

This is a clip I found which I thought was very funny at first. I have not seen the rest of the movie it is from. Perhaps you can help me explain, beyond the obvious, as to what in this makes us laugh.